Yun-Bin Zhao (PhD 1998)
Edgbaston B15 2TT
Tel: +44 0121 414 7092 Fax: +44 0121 414 3393 Email: Y.Zhao.email@example.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Office Hours (Autumn 2012): Monday 3:00-4:30pm
Before joined to the University of Birmingham in 2007, Yunbin Zhao worked at the Academy of Mathematics and System Science (AMSS), Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, SEEM of Chinese University of Hong Kong, Fields Institute (Toronto, Canada), and Management Dept of University of Toronto (Canada). His interest covers computational optimization, operations research, and numerical analysis. Recently, he is working on theory and algorithms of the sparsest solutions to underdetermined systems of linear equations and applications to compressed sensing, signal and imaging processing.
Courses taught in 2012/2013:
· MSM2Da (3G05a, M09a): Linear Programming (Autumn 2012)
· MSM3M02a (4M02a) : Integer Optimization (Autumn 2012)
Seminars organized: Optimization and Numerical Analysis (Autumn 2012, take place at room WAT R17/18, at 1:00pm, Thursday)
· Associate Editor: Applied Mathematics and Computation
· Area Editor: European Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
· Editorial board: Journal of Algebraic Statistics
· Co-Guest Editor of Journal of Industrial Management and Optimization (Vol. 2 & 3, 2005)
· Guest Editor of Journal of Industrial Management and Optimization (2010/2011)
Recent journal articles published:
1. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, Reweighted \ell_1-minimization for sparse solutions to underdetermined linear systems, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 22 (2012), No. 3, pp. 1065-1088.
2. Y.B. Zhao, An approximation theory of matrix rank minimization and its applications to quadratic equations, Linear Algebra and its Applications, 437 (2012), pp.77-93.
Y.B. Zhao, (arXiv:1008.0734v1), Kantorovich
function Convexity conditions of Kantorovich function and related semi-infinite
linear matrix inequalities,
4. I. Averbakh and Y.B. Zhao, Robust univariate spline models for interpolating interval data, Operations Research Letters, 39 (2011), pp. 62-66
5. Y.B. Zhao, The convexity condition and Legendre-Fenchel transform of the product of finitely many quadratic forms, Applied Mathematics and Optimization, 62 (2010), no. 3, pp. 411-434.
6. Y.B. Zhao, The Legendre-Fenchel conjugate of the product of two positive-definite quadratic forms, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis & Applications, 31 (2010), no.4, pp.1792-1811.
7. Y.B. Zhao, S.C. Fang and J.E. Lavery, Geometric dual formulation of the first derivative based C1-smooth univariate cubic L1 spline functions, Journal of Global Optimization, 40(2008), 589-621.
8. I. Averbakh and Y.B. Zhao, Explicit reformulations for robust optimization problems with general uncertainty sets, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 18 (2008), pp. 1436-1466
9. Y.B. Zhao, Enlarging neighborhood of interior-point algorithms for linear programming via the least value of proximity functions, Applied Numerical Mathematics, 57( 2007), pp.1033-1049.
10. Y.B. Zhao and J.Hu, Global bounds for the distance to solutions of co-coercive variational inequalities, Operations Research Letters, 35(2007) , pp. 409-415.
11. Y.B. Zhao, S.C. Fang and D. Li, Constructing generalized mean functions via convex functions with regularity conditions, SIAM Journal on Optimization , 17 (2006) , pp. 37-51.
12. J. Peng, T. Terlaky and Y.B. Zhao, An interior point algorithm for linear optimization based on a proximity function, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 15(2005), pp. 1105-1127.
13. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, A globally and locally convergent non- interior- point algorithm for P_0 LCPs, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 13 (2003), no.4, 1195--1221
14. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, Locating the least 2-norm solution of linear programming via the path- following methods, SIAM Journal on Optimization. 12 (2002), no. 4, 893--912.
15. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, Exitstence and limiting behavior of a non-interior-point trajectory for CPs without strict feasibility condition, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization. 40 (2001), pp. 898-924.
16. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, Monotonicity of fixed point and normal mappings associated with variational inequality and its application. SIAM Journal on Optimization, 11 (2001), no 4, pp. 962-973.
17. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, On a new homotopy continuation trajectory for nonlinear complementarity problems, Mathematics of Operations Research, 26 (2001), no. 1 pp. 119-146.
18. Y.B. Zhao and G. Isac, Properties of a multi-valued mapping associated with some non-monotone complementarity problems, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization. 39 (2000), pp. 571-593.
19. Y.B. Zhao and D. Li, Strict feasibility conditions in nonlinear complementarity problems, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications , 107 (2000), pp.641-664.
20. G. Isac and Y.B. Zhao, Exceptional family of elements and the solvability of variational inequality for unbounded sets in infinite dimensional Hilbert Spaces, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 246 (2000), pp. 544-556.
21. Y.B. Zhao and G. Isac, Quasi-P^*-maps, P(\tau, \alpha, \beta)-maps, exceptional family of elements and complementarity problems, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 105 (2000), pp. 213-231.
“Legendre-Fenchel conjugate for the product of convex functions” at
The First World Congress on Global Optimization in Engineering & Science (
2. “Convexity conditions and Legendre-Fenchel transform for the product of finitely many quadratic forms” at The 7th International Conference on Numerical Optimization and Numerical Linear Algebra (ICNONLA2009), Lijiang, August 16-19, 2009.